High School Junior Year Round Program
The Mexican American Opportunity Foundation (MAOF) offers high school juniors the NCLR Escalera program which helps students graduate from high school, prepare for college, and explore well-paying careers. Escalera students are motivated to participate in civic engagement and are provided work experience through volunteer/internship opportunities.
The Escalera program implements an educational curriculum of 28 modules with different lesson plans that targets student’s questions regarding college readiness and the workforce. Afterschool meetings are mandatory every week to insure each students path towards completing the program. Students receive paid and unpaid employment opportunities and college fieldtrips throughout the summer. Escalera students have opportunities to participate in college fieldtrips, professional career presentations, mock interviews and the chance to attend conferences throughout the US to improve their networking skills.
The program provides the following services:
1. Life skills workshops
2. Leadership development
3. Community engagement
4. College education and workforce preparation skills
5. SAT/ACT preparation
6. Summer employment opportunities
7. Paid and unpaid work experiences including internships and job shadowing
8. Guidance and mentoring for a duration of at least twelve months, that may occur during and after school
9. Supportive Services
10. Follow up services for not less than 12 months after the participant completes the program.
5657 E. Washington Blvd., Commerce, CA 90040